|Galangal, peeled and sliced||3cm|
|Lemongrass, sliced||5 stalks|
|Ginger, peeled and sliced||3cm|
|Blended dried chili||3 tbsp|
|Chicken parts (breast/thighs)||800g|
|Toasted grated coconut (kerisik)||5 tbsp|
|Kaffir lime leaves||2-3|
|Fresh coconut milk||1 cup|
|Cardamom pods (buah pelaga)||2|
|Star anise (bunga lawang)||1|
|Cooking oil||½ cup|
- STEPBlitz shallots, galangal, 2 stalks of lemongrass, garlic, ginger and dried chili until a paste is formed.
- STEPHeat cooking oil in a wok and sauté the paste with cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and cardamom.
- STEPAdd in the chicken and the remaining lemongrass stalks; stir to combine with the spices. Add the coconut milk and water.
- STEPLet it simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently until the chicken is almost cooked.
- STEPAdd in the toasted coconut and kaffir lime leaves. Keep stirring.
- STEPLower the heat and cover the wok. Cook for more than 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Add in salt.
- STEPRemove from heat and serve.
Rendang tastes better the next day, so it’s best to prepare it ahead!