|Sponge Cake: Egg yolks||4|
|Pandan milk (blend 30g fresh pandan leaves with 100g coconut milk, extract juices and weigh 65g)||65g|
|Egg white||4 (large)|
|Lemon juice/ cream of tartar||1 tsp / 1/4 tsp|
|Sago Layer: Pearl sago||120g|
|Pandan milk water (balance from making sponge cake about 13g, then add 87g water)||100g|
|Swiss Meringue Buttercream: Large egg whites||6|
|Castor sugar||2 cups|
|Butter (softened but a bit firm, cubed)||2-3 cups|
|Vanilla extract||1/2 tsp|
|Gula Melaka Syrup: Pure palm sugar, roughly chopped||300g|
- STEPSponge Cake: Lightly whisk egg yolk with sugar.
- STEPAdd in corn oil until it combines. Then add in pandan milk and combine well.
- STEPAdd in cake flour, mix well and set aside.
- STEPAdd lemon juices/ cream of tartar into egg white, beat until foamy.
- STEPGradually add in sugar, beat until close stiff peaks or firm peaks.
- STEPTake 1/3 portion of meringue and pour into egg mixture, use a silicone spatula, fold well. Then fold in the balance of meringue, fold to combine.
- STEPPour batter into the pan (don’t need to line with paper. If you only have a normal cake pan, then line the side and bottom with baking paper, and remove cake from cake pan as soon as removed from oven), bake in pre-heated oven at 140c for 25mins then increase to 170c and continue to bake for 30mins.
- STEPImmediately invert the cake pan on a wire rack. Let it cool for about 10-15 mins, remove cake from the cake pan and continue to cool on wire rack.
- STEPSago Layer: Wash pearl sago, then soak in clean water for 45 minutes (use more water as sago will expand after soaking).
- STEPPlace soaked sago, sugar and pandan milk water in a mixing bowl, stir and mix well.
- STEPPour into a 7” steaming tray, steam over medium heat for 30 mins. Set aside to cool.
- STEPCut the sago the same size as the cake for assembling later.
- STEPSwiss Meringue Buttercream: Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk until combined.
- STEPPlace bowl over a pot with 1-2" of simmering water and whisk constantly until the mixture is hot and no longer grainy to the touch or reads 70 Celsius on a candy thermometer (approx. 3 mins).
- STEPPlace bowl on your stand mixer and whisk on med-high until the meringue is stiff and cooled (the bowl is no longer warm to the touch, approx. 5-10 mins).
- STEPSwitch to paddle attachment (optional). Slowly add cubed butter and mix until smooth.
- STEPAdd flavourings as desired. Whip until smooth.
- STEPGula Melaka Syrup: Boil the palm sugar and water for 10 to 15 minutes until the syrup is thick, sticky and a caramel colour.
- STEPAssembling Chendol Cake: Slice sponge cake into 3 pieces.
- STEPPlace the first layer of sponge cake on a cake board or plate.
- STEPPlace the sago layer on the first layer of sponge cake.
- STEPPlace second piece of sponge cake over the sago layer.
- STEPFill in the swiss meringue buttercream on the second piece sponge cake and smooth it out.
- STEPPlace the third piece of cake on the buttercream.
- STEPThen cover the whole layered cake with swiss meringue buttercream. Lastly, drizzle the gula melaka syrup on top of the layer of Swiss meringue buttercream.
Remember to soak the pearl sago with the water!