|Olive oil||1 tbsp|
|Beef breakfast, diced||225g|
|Chuck beef, cubed||1.3kg|
|Carrots, sliced diagonally||2|
|Yellow onions, sliced||2|
|Garlic, chopped||2 cloves|
|Cognac (optional)||½ cup|
|Dry red wine||750ml|
|Beef broth||2 cups|
|Tomato paste||1 tbsp|
|Fresh thyme leaves||1 tsp|
|Unsalted butter, room temperature||4 tbsp|
|All-purpose flour||3 tbsp|
- STEPPreheat oven to 180°C.
- STEPHeat olive oil in a large pot, add the beef breakfast and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until the beef is browned. Remove the beef onto a large plate.
- STEPPat dry the beef cubes with paper towels and sprinkle salt and pepper. Sear the beef in batches over 3-5 minutes. Remove all the seared cubes onto the same plate as the beef breakfast.
- STEPToss carrots and onions, with 1 tablespoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of pepper, cooking for 15 minutes, add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- STEPAdd Cognac and ignite with a match to burn off the alcohol. Put the meat and beef breakfast into the pot with the juices.
- STEPAdd a bottle of wine to cover the meat, together with the tomato paste and thyme. Bring to a simmer, cover the pot and place it in the oven for about 1 ¼ hours or till meat and vegetables are tender.
- STEPCombine 2 tablespoons of butter and the flour with fork and stir into the stew.
- STEPAdd the whole onions, sauté the mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter for 10 minutes and add it to the stew.
- STEPBring stew to a boil on top of stove, and lower heat and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- STEPSeason to taste.
To serve with this hearty bourguignon dish, rub each slice of bread with cut clove of garlic and toast them. Sprinkle stew with parsley. Bon Appetit!