Thanks to the invention of the microwave, our lives these days have gotten much simpler. You can make dinner in less than a minute, and heat up leftovers the following day – just zap it, and you’re all set. Nevertheless, reheating meals can cause potential hazards to your health. Read on to find out which foods you should never, ever reheat.
As a general rule of thumb, mushrooms should be eaten and finished upon preparation. Its protein content can deteriorate as soon as you cut them and if you leave it out for too long or microwave it, it may upset your stomach.
Another food you should never pop into your microwave to reheat are eggs. Whether you’ve boiled, scrambled or fried it, reheating this protein powerhouse can be toxic and hazardous to your digestive system.
If you want to save your spinach, celery or other leafy greens to eat later as leftovers, never reheat them in a microwave. When blasted in the microwave, naturally occurring nitrates – which are good for you on their own – may convert to nitrosamines, which can be carcinogenic. Good thing they can be eaten cold and raw.
Like eggs, it’s dangerous to reheat chicken due to its high content of protein. Reheating it after a day or two may cause digestive problems.
It’s a known fact that beets are both rich in flavour and nutrition. But like spinach and other green vegetables, it’s super rich in nitrates. Hence, it’s safer to cook what you think you’ll actually eat in one sitting. Or better yet, eat it raw.